People just couldn’t believe how clever and resourceful Grandma was for making a cake with no flour!
|Vanilla Wafer Cake|
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 7 ounces shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 (12-ounce) package vanilla wafers, crushed
- Preheat oven to 275ºF. Grease a tube pan and line the bottom with waxed paper.
- Combine butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer set at high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time to the butter mixture, beating well after each addition. Stir in coconut. Add the vanilla wafer crumbs and mix well.
- Spoon cake batter into the prepared tube pan.
- Bake cake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 11/2 hours. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Transfer cake to a wire rack to cool completely.
Grandma’s secret trick:
Grandma knew that to get the best results for this cake, the vanilla wafers needed to be ground into fairly fine crumbs, rather than chunky pieces. The quickest way Grandma found to do this was to break up the wafers, then drop them into a blender with the motor already running. She worked in batches, emptying the container when it contained about 1 cup of crumbs.